We love summer in San Diego. Why not head to the local beach or mountains to beat the heat. If you can’t get away, you can still stay cool, reduce your use and save money with these simple tips.
- Have fun making a cold, refreshing drink or dessert with the family. What kid doesn’t like lemonade!
- In the morning, close up your house and draw blinds and drapes so the house stays darker and cooler.
- If your area cools off in the evening, take advantage of the cool evenings. Open windows and doors with screens to bring the inside temperature down.
- Consider installing a whole-house fan. It is a “natural evening air conditioner.”
When temperatures rise, so does the energy use in our region. Here are some great tips for saving energy this summer from our partner, SDG&E.
- There are more than 100 Cool Zones are open to the public from June 23 – October 31, 2016 in San Diego! Find the Cool Zone nearest you by clicking on this link: http://www.sdge.com/cool-zones or by calling 1-800- 510-2020.
- You could save up to 35% on your energy bill! Apply online for the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) discount from SDG&E. Click https://care.sdge.com/heatcare_internetenrollment/index.html or dial 211 and ask for the Energy Bill Discount Program.
- Did you know you can conserve energy by decreasing the water temperature in your pool? For each degree warmer you keep your pool, you may be paying 10-30% more in energy costs. You can also save water and energy by using a pool cover. Find out more about pool covers and energy savings at this link: http://www.sdge.com/buyers-guide- item/3883/variable-speed- pool-pumps
Our friends at San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) also want to remind customers that the transition to a new electric
rate structure that began last September enters the next phase in July 2016. How these changes affect your electric bill will depend on your energy use, where you live and whether you’re enrolled in a bill discount program like California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE). To read more about how these changes will impact your bill, please visit: http://www.sdge.com/RateReform/.