The holidays are the perfect time to show you care…and the earth should be on your list too. It’s a wonderful time of celebrations, decorations, gifts and travel. We also generate a lot of waste and increase our energy use during the holiday season.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the volume of household waste in the United States generally increases 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day – about 1 million extra tons.
Here are some simple ways to “green” your holiday season by reducing, recycling, and reusing.
- Give Creatively
- Use Energy-Efficient Lighting
- Take Public Transportation
- Reduce Shopping Bags
- Eat Sustainable Food
- Use Reusable Dishware
- Use Recycled Content (cards and paper)
- Reuse Gift Wrapping
- Replant, Compost, or Mulch Your Tree
For more info visit https://www3.epa.gov/region9/waste/recycling/
Our friends at SDG&E also offer money and energy savings programs that can help you and the people you care about before, during and after the holidays.
- There’s no time like the present to show someone in need you CARE. Watch: http://www.sdge.com/residential/care-video
- You or someone you know could be eligible to receive free energy-efficient home improvements that can make your home more comfortable and save you money now and for years to come. With the Energy Savings Assistance Program, SDG&E’s authorized contractors will come to your home and may provide free:
- New, energy-efficient lighting
- Repair or replacement of doors and windows
- Microwaves, refrigerators and high-efficiency clothes washers
- Insulation, weather-stripping and caulking to lower heating and cooling costs
More information: http://www.sdge.com/residential/energy-savings-assistance-program-video
- Medical issues that require certain medical devices, space heating or air conditioning due to a medical condition, may qualify for a monthly energy bill discount. See if you, or someone you know, qualifies by clicking on this link: http://www.sdge.com/residential/save-medical-baseline/medical-baseline-program
- Bring good tidings to a neighbor struggling to make ends meet this holiday season. SDG&E’s Neighbor-to-Neighbor Fund provides customers experiencing temporary financial hardship and who are not eligible for state or federal assistance up to $200 towards their SDG&E bill. Find out more at http://www.sdge.com/residential/temporary-financial-hardship
- Get Level Pay, know what your SDGE bill will be each month & enjoy the holidays! With Level Pay you can balance out the highs and lows so your monthly energy bills are more stable and predictable. Check it out: http://www.sdge.com/customer-service/level-pay-plan
- Get the 411 on 2-1-1 San Diego.2-1-1 San Diego’s mission is to connect community members with the most appropriate organizations and resources. Learn more: http://www.211sandiego.org/new/about.html